980 Winchester – Berry Retail Building
Shaped by its zoning and parking constraints, as well as a desire to create a memorable structure on one of San Jose’s busiest commercial thoroughfares, the Berry Building represents incremental progress towards the City’s goal of making Winchester Boulevard a more pedestrian-friendly street.
Unlike older developments on the Boulevard, the Berry Building holds the urban edge on both street frontages, with parking tucked away behind. At the same time, the bold sculptural forms and colors of the building address today’s auto-oriented reality, and provide excellent visibility for each of the retail tenants.
- Scope of Work: 4,230 s.f. new retail shell on a 15,000 s.f. site.
- Project Year: 2010
- Project Cost: $1,200,000
- Location: 980 Winchester Blvd. San Jose, CA
- Architect: Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.; Eugene H. Sakai, AIA, President, Catherine Gutierrez, Assoc. AIA, Ryan Lising
- Structural Engineer: Sierra Engineering, Inc.; Jesus Sierra, SE, President
- Civil Engineer: WEC Engineering and Associates, Inc.; Ed Wu, PE, President
- Landscape Architect: Greg Ing and Associates; Greg Ing, Principal
- Contractor: Method Construction, Inc.; David Method and Jim Morales